Thursday 30 April 2015

Warm Quinoa, Butternut Squash and Broccoli Salad




This is the result of reading Deliciously Ella's website on the way to work - I got some inspiration, did a super quick shop on my way home, and the result was that good - I had to share!

This is by no means an exhaustive recipe - I made it up as I went along, but I hope you get the jist so you can enjoy this too.

What You Will Need 

1 small Butternut Squash - shaved and diced
1 Red Onion - chopped
1 Vegetable Stock Cube
450 - 500ml boiling water
1 tablespoon Honey
100g Quinoa and Buckwheat Mix (Tesco do a great mixed bag)
Olive Oil
Broccoli

Method


  1. First preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Then put the diced Butternut Squash and Onion into a roasting tray and cover this with Olive Oil and Honey - now stick this in the oven for roughly 30 mins or until soft. 
  2. Boil the water and mix in a stock cube, leave or stir until fully dissolved. Soak your Quinoa mix in a pan of cold water and mix - this is to wash the chalky taste away. Drain away the cold water.
  3. Pour the Vegetable Stock water and the drained Quinoa mix into a pan and leave this to simmer for 15 mins or until the water has been absorbed. 
  4. Cook the broccoli - I had a ready made packet which I just cooked in the microwave.
  5. When everything is cooked, mix together and enjoy! 
Simply, so healthy and filling. The great thing about Quinoa is it will last for a few days, so enjoy the left overs too! 



5 comments:

  1. this looks yummy and definitely healthy. man I'll need to try this... my boyfriend and I are supposed to try to eat healthier. :/
    thanks for this post! :)

    xoxo
    smudged-fingerprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I am glad you liked the post, this really is the simplest thing to make and you can adapt it however you want. My boyfriend loves it too, he adds chicken to his :-) x x x

      Delete
    2. ooo that sounds good! and thanks for your warm wishes for me on my finals. that was very sweet :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious!
    I will bookmark this!
    Emily
    xx
    http://emilyattemptslife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeee butternut squash, this looks so yummy! Definitely gonna try it out!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete